- “It is funny about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the very best, you very often get it.”
— W. Somerset Maugham
- A programmer is a person who passes as an exacting expert on the basis of being able to turn out, after innumerable punching, an infinite series of incomprehensibleanswers calculated with micrometric precisions from vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive documents and carried out on instruments of problematical accuracy by persons of dubious reliability and questionable mentality for the avowed purpose of annoying and confounding a hopelessly defenseless department that was unfortunate enough to ask for the information in the first place.
— IEEE Grid newsmagazine
- The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.
— Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green
- The firststuffs have their being as motes called unclefts. These are mightly small; one seedweight of waterstuff holds a tale of them like unto two followed by twenty-two naughts. Most unclefts link together to make what are called bulkbits. Thus, the waterstuff bulkbit bestands of two waterstuff unclefts, the sourstuff bulkbit of two sourstuff unclefts, and so on. (Some kinds, such as sunstuff, keep alone; others, such as iron, cling together in ices when in the fast standing; and there are yet more yokeways.) When unlike clefts link in a bulkbit, they make bindings. Thus, water is a binding of two waterstuff unclefts with one sourstuff uncleft, while a bulkbit of one of the forestuffs making up flesh may have a thousand thousand or more unclefts of these two firststuffs together with coalstuff and chokestuff.
— Poul Anderson, "Uncleftish Beholding" (full version here)
- It is horrible, yet fascinating, this struggle between a set purpose and an utterly exhausted frame.
— Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930)
(After observing Italy's Dorando Pietri collapse three times in the final 100 meters of the 1908 Olympic Marathon.)
(more fine quotations on the topic of running here)
- '...It is the privilege of the original thinker to put forward ideas which are new and usually unwelcome to the common clay. Now, sir, what is this?' He held up a small object which he had picked from the table.
'I should say it is a sea-urchin.'
'Exactly!' he cried, with an air of exaggerated surprise, as when an infant has done something clever. 'It is a sea-urchin -- a common echinus. Nature repeats itself in many forms regardless of the size. This echinus is a model, a prototype, of the world. You perceive that it is roughly circular, but flattened at the poles. Let us then regard the world as a huge echinus. What are your objections?'
My chief objection was that the thing was too absurd for argument, but I did not dare to say so.
— Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, When The World Screamed (1929)
несколько цитат (англ.)
продать душу подороже
если предположить, что кто-то вообще в наше время подписал сделку с дьяволом, что есть вообще такая штука, то можно покумекать и догадаться, кто это…
Я видел нового "Бэтмена" и я одобряю этот мем. Очень длинный фильм, происходящий целиком в полутьме или почти полной темноте, полный бессмысленной…
не смотри вверх
Всю прошлую неделю в ленте у меня все обсуждали фильм "Не смотри вверх" (Don't Look Up), а я думал промолчать, но все-таки скажу: я не смог его…
- Post a new comment
- 7 comments
- Post a new comment
- 7 comments